Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Words w/o Music 2

I'm like words without music
Black and white on a page, tucked under a book
Music flies free, a symphony of sound
While death defies me, I'm planted on the ground
My words are legless, meaningless in practice
The act is in the recitation
Forcefully injecting Frankenstein life
On the surface perfecting my serpentine wife
Word's new companion falls flat on her face
Fulfilling as a bottomless mug
I am words without music
The musician surpassed the lyricist long ago
And finally flew to find a more worthy partner
Defining heartbreak for the lover of words better
than any dictionary
Words are unworthy of music by nature
Dwarfed in stature, never catching up
Never quite caught up
Not caught up, catch up!
Catch up now, you lagging words
Tagging birds, tracking birds who fly the jetstream
Struggle to explain, identify, move
Move now, you gutless words!
You baseless words, you faceless words!
Move, oh useless words, move us
Like leaves against the wind you fly
With no power of my own, without music, without hope
Without songs that help to cope
Help to heal, help to deal
Help to steal a little smile
Words have heaped a heavy pile
All the while music flies
Free and happy in the skies
You were my music
How did I lose it?
Words find meaning in happiness and pleasure
But for love beyond measure, seek a song of salvation
I learned this lesson as a child
But as I grew, impact lessened all the while
Yes, I knew to seek the creator
Peace, love, and honesty follow this maker
And peace is what I crave
More than music, more than sound
More the veils of false hope that cover all around
I'll have peace when it is given
Because I can't make it
I only break it when I have it
Oh, what a lonesome habit
Silly rabbit, why didn't you realize
What you knew was true?
Follow, words!
Follow your leader, words!
You're useless and they see it
Yes, look at them out there
Staring back
Staring at the band in the back
The music sits patiently, poised to attack

No comments: