Sunday, March 22, 2009

Most people call me Ugly...
My mother calls me Sean.
Most people call my mother ugly.

I don't really know a better word
To summarize my existence,
As if that was something worth doing.
As if making things easy to understand
Really ever resulted in understanding.

I usually don't do this.
I usually don't cut out my piece.
Assuming it might fit
Might be foolish.
I'm not loud.
I lack the necessary audacity.
I've spoken out of turn before
Only to remember the look
On people's faces.
It broke their symmetry.

Ugliness isn't an appearance
Or even a status.
It's a decision.
As a young boy I decided
To be ugly.
I made it before I could
Take it back and
Lack the tools to
Turn back time.

I came into this world Sean
And will leave it so.
But I dwell here Ugly.
Knowing God lives for me
So that I may sigh lightly.
This in stead of a deep sigh.
The kind that makes Ugly
Despair at mystery,
Tear at the fabric of what
They think is real.
Feel for a world that
Doesn't keep in it uncertainty.

I am Ugly.
Ugly does twist at himself.
He twists at his face and
What lies behind it.
He smoulders in spite and
Despite of himself.
Twisting and smouldering
Bending and burning
Make a sight more ugly than before.
A sound that screeches,
A stench that is putrid.

I am Sean.
Sean does look outward.
He sets his heart to task and
Is battered back at times.
He builds his strength
Despite his weaknesses.
Looking and building
Growing and learning
Make a man just as Ugly as before.
A friend that betrays,
A lover that fails.

My works are like refuse
As they've been in my pocket.
Understand that I've said little
As you expected I might.
Forget it.
Self-indulgence with no
Self to indulge upon.
I beg the reader to forsake all here
Save one request.
I am Ugly.
Please call me Sean.

No comments: