Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trying

A wolf walks past a birch tree in the snow
His fur is silver with the morning dew
And as he passes by, my slinking foe
Is drawn in by the scent of my hot stew
I long have had it cooking by this fire
So that I might fill up and warm my soul
He licks his teeth in hopes he will acquire
The meal that slowly cooks above these coals
I slowly reach for rifle by my side
So that I might then slay approaching beast
My hand lifts up the cover of cow-hide
The wolf continues lusting for his feast
Intently, creeping gently, getting close
My nerves are steady as I raise my gun
Though ignorant, I guess that my wolf knows
His days of stalking prey will soon be done
A shot rings out and breaks the silent morn
The wolf falls limp upon the waiting frost
I never, from the day that I was born
Have paid, for any breakfast, such a cost

1 comment:

macbeth_kid said...

Well...you've painted quite a picture. This could translate into a short.